Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Zagat's Guide to Gulf Shores

Well, maybe not. My taste isn't refined and I don't rate things with stars (although my obsession with stars might seem unhealthy to some) but I wanted to share some of my favorite things about my soon to be new home.

I will start with my favorite restaurant.

Well, my FAVORITE place isn't in Gulf Shores, or Orange Beach for that matter. My favorite place in the area is actually in Pensacola Beach. Hemmingway's is a beautifully decorated and reasonably priced (at least, reasonable for beach food!) restaurant on the water at Pensacola Beach. It's cuban-ish food (based on Hemmingway's extensive time in Cuba) and the atmosphere is so fun!

A few tips from my time at this restaurant:

1. Sit outside. The view of the water and pier is gorgeous, and the fans overhead provide the perfect breeze for the beach heat.
2. Order the Island Caesar as your appetizer and order the big one, not the half size. Trust me. I mean it. The dressing is to die for-its a coconut-pineapple caesar and I literally licked the plate. And Im not ashamed of it. I even asked for a to-go container of it. Although I left it in the car over night and I didn't get to use it. 
3. I ate the Tilapia Plantanos, which was a Tilapia Filet with Plantains and a trio of yummy sauces. The fish was bland but the sauce was awesome. Don't order it. If you really want to get the full experience out of this restaurant order the Tenderloin Churrasco. Yes, it may be one of the most expensive things on the menu, but its totally worth it. Trust me. Yummy steak cooked perfectly with a citrus butter sauce on it and served with the best mashed potatoes ever. Well, aside from mine of course. 
4. The rum-runner is awesome. Legit.

My favorite place in Gulf Shores may be a little unexpected. If you're a local, you know about Crico's pizza. If you aren't, you have probably driven by this hole in the wall 1000 times. Crico's is a buffet that is super cheap and yummy. And did I mention it was cheap?
 I cant recommend dishes because they change all the time. But its good-truth!

My favorite place in Orange Beach is Franco's Italian Restaurant. Pretty much everything is good, and it's in a random place so it's not always as packed out as some of the seafood restaurants.

I had the alfredo-not very glamorous but VERY good! The bread is ballin' and the salad is pretty good too. I'm looking forward to trying more dishes here!

And last but absolutely not least is my wonderful employer, The Hangout. I am working through this menu a little bit at a time, but here are some of my tips.

1. If we are busy, sit in the main dining room. It's where all the fun happens and trust me, you want to be a part of the fun!
2. If we aren't busy, ask to sit on the porch by the beach. The view is the best, although that section is always packed so be prepared to wait a little longer!
3. Visit the gift shop. It has so much cute stuff that I want...I spend a lot of time in there in the mornings while I wait to get a table!
4. Get the wings. They rock. Not your typical fare at a beach restaurant, but they seriously are the best thing on the menu. 
5. Another awesome appetizer is the chips, queso, and salsa. It's usually demolished immediately at our table.
6. The Hang 10 Burger, Highway 59 Quesadilla, and Mediterranean Salad are some of the best thing on the menu. When in doubt, ask your server. They usually have good tips.
7. When you server tells you they are going to go dance, go with them. And when they invite you to get on the table and dance with them, do it. It's fun. Swear.

So that's it. The Bosky's guide to my new area. Come check it out. And while you're at it, eat in my section at the Hangout and leave me a big tip. Just saying'!

Barefoot Foodie,
Courtney



No comments:

Post a Comment