Sunday, May 15, 2011

RestauRANT

I cant believe it has been this long since I blogged...sorry Mom! I will resume with the decorating blog-ness once I have time to do more decorating (or at least finish what I have started!) but I wanted to write about a restaurant opening I went to here in Gulf Shores.

The new Tacky Jack's: Gulf Shores opened up this week and of course, being the social butterfly and foodie (lol...right) that I am, I HAD to attend. So Benjamin, Leigh Arkle, Preston Jones (more on Leigh and Preston's visit in a later post!), and I all rode on down to Tacky Jack's newest location on Canal Road. I was so excited to go to my first restaurant opening, even if it was just a local place.

We arrived at the restaurant to see that the parking lot was full. Or so I thought. We drove in and though there weren't many parking spots, the lot wasn't that big to begin with. That should have been our first sign that something wasn't right- if an opening cant generate bigger crowds, there is something wrong. But I digress.

I had seen pictures of the restaurant and thought they were pretty dadgum cool.
The artist's rendering of what the new location would look like.
The rendering looked SO COOL! That's part of what made me so excited to go. I couldn't wait to see how it looked in person.
The view of the canal side of the restaurant.
The view from the porch is pretty fantastic. Although the bugs were a HUGE problem (Ben was bitten by a yellow fly...VERY PAINFUL!), the view was pretty awesome.
The parking lot side.


In the multiple times I drove by the in-process building site, I thought for sure they would finish the side of the building. But they didn't. They meant for it to look un-finished. I'm not sure if it was intentional to make it look "Tacky" or if they just thought it looked cool, but we weren't impressed. 

So that was just the first impression. We got a table easily, as the place wasn't busy-at all (cue the forehead slapping duh moment) and were soon attacked by bugs. So we sprayed bug spray. And still got bitten by bugs. Awesome. 

Our waitress was unprepared and unknowledgable and hadn't tried any of the dishes I was asking her about. I ended up ordering the Ahi Tuna sandwich and was very disappointed. We have one at the Hangout where I work that is about a thousand times better. I almost sent it back, but I figured it wasn't worth it! Everyone else's food was fine, but their portions did NOT match their prices AT ALL. Their cups were tiny and not worth the price you had to pay for them or the time you would have to wait to get a refill. The "sides" (if you could call them that) were so small that they were more of a sample than  a side. And to top it off, their chips were stale and soggy. 


Overall, I was EXTREMELY disappointed with this restaurant. Ben even made a comment on their Facebook page about how disappointed he was with the restaurant and no one ever commented back or made any effort to get us to come back. So yeah, we DEFINITELY wont be returning to Tacky Jack's in Gulf Shores. 


That's all for now. Stay tuned soon for a new blog post!


Hungrily,
The Barefoot girl scarfing down food

No comments:

Post a Comment