Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Who said horizontal stripes weren't flattering?

I mean, I think they make my walls look super skinny awesome! Thanks for all your encouraging words about my bathroom design! I have received texts and comments and it seems everyone loves the stripes as much as I do! So for those of you who are wondering, here is how I did it!

1. Measure height of the wall. Mine was 103 inches high.
2. Decide how many colored stripes you want. I wanted 6.
3. Divide the length of the wall (103) by 2x the number of stripes you want minus 1 (12-1=11)
4. 103/11= 9.3 inches per stripe.
5. Tape off stripes.
6. Paint.
7. Remove tape.
8. Enjoy.

Yeah, I know. Really helpful. Those are the basic steps. Here are some things I learned from the process!

1. Don't put weight on things that aren't secured to the wall. Case in point: my towel bar.
Yeah. That was pretty stupid. I know this-now.

2. Think about which stripes are going to be the color and which will be the neutral. It's important-swear.  I didn't, and ended up with five white stripes instead of the six I wanted. Not that big of a deal in the long run, but I wanted six. Not five.

3. Measure twice, tape once. I thought I was being fairly accurate but I still ended up with a boo-boo:
If you look closely, you'll see that the stripes don't quite match up in the left corner above the door. Thankfully, the error was in a less noticeable spot than had it been, say, across from the toilet. I do plan on going back and fixing it (at least, as much as possible) eventually. But for the moment, it will have to do!

4. With the same tone as the last tip, think about where you mark BEFORE you mark of your tape spot. Use a level and make sure it is all straight and neat before you tape. It will make for clean and crisp stripes, and you wont be left with ugly pencil marks on the wall!

5. A hint about the taping process-if you start with a neutral wall, you only have to tape off the stripes you will be painting. So think about what you're taping-the stripe or the area outside the stripe. It will help in knowing which side of the pencil line to place the tape!

6. Remove the tape IMMEDIATELY. If you don't, your stripes wont be as clean as you want them to be. Don't wait for the tape to dry. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.
Sorry. Got carried away. But seriously. Take the tape off.

So that's the last bathroom post for a while! Cant wait to update with pics once I get more "feathering" for my "nest."

The Barefoot Striper,
Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment